Ruby F. Carver Elementary School, located in the Tuckahoe Division, is named for Ruby Fellows Carver who was the first teacher at Tuckahoe Elementary School and wife of a University of Richmond professor. She moved to the Henrico School System in 1942. In 1944, she moved from Ridge School and began a school in the basement of the home of Dr. Thomas Patterson for whom Patterson Avenue was named. The home, which stands near Tuckahoe Elementary School, was named Paradise. After the first year, the basement was divided into two classrooms. After the second year, Tuckahoe Elementary was completed and opened. Mrs. Carver taught at Tuckahoe until ill health forced her to leave in September of 1963.